Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Some Thoughts on Consent...

There's been a lot of talk in Spanko-blog Land lately about consent.  How much do we, as spankees, give? There've been excellent discussions elsewhere on this  (especially at My Bottom Smarts) . 



All of this talk of consent happened to coincide with something that happened between Sir and me. 


In a nutshell, I lost my bank card. 


Just one of those irritating things that happen that take half a day to get cleared up. 


But the bottom line is, I lost it. It didn't get stolen, the dog didn't eat it, I just lost it. 


I mentioned it to Sir, in an offhanded way while we were discussing my plans for the day.  It didn't occur to me that I'd be punished for it. I'm an autonomous person. Though Sir keeps me on a short leash (not literally. At least not yet.) regarding things we've negotiated (mostly domestic things), my money and banking habits is not something we've discussed. 


Sir was very kind and concerned about me fixing the problem, but informed me that I would be punished once it was straightened out. 


Now, fellow imps, I know you'll understand when I admit that the first thing that went through my head was "the hell I will." OF COURSE I didn't say that, but it is the first thing I thought. So what DID I say? I said, "Yes, Sir." He's the only person in the world to whom I would have said that. 

Later, in the course of conversation, I mentioned, very politely, that I didn't think I should be punished for what happened, but that I knew it didn't matter because his word goes. He very graciously asked me to explain my thoughts. I did. He thanked me for telling him and told me to be prepared for punishment later this week.


I said "Thank you."



That, to me, is consent.

4 comments:

  1. In addition to your intelligence, beauty, ambition, and desire for meaningful discipline, I also admire your grace under pressure. You behaved so well under difficult circumstances. I am extremely proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sir. That means a great deal coming from you.

    xoxoxo
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many in the vanilla world do not understand consent. But I would never want to take what is not willfully given to me. Consent is key. Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thank you, B'Man, for reading and commenting!

    xoxox
    Libby

    ReplyDelete