Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lessons (from my kitten) on Bratting

As I've been recuperating from my seemingly endless bout with the flu, I've had lots of time to study the behavior of my very naughty kitten, Cassie. I amused myself with interpreting her thoughts into human girl speech...and I shudder to think of what a brat she would be. Cassie with a Top? Oh, Heavens! He wouldn't have a chance!  Here are three very typical exchanges, inspired by her behavior with me...

Top to Cassie: Why did you break that vase?
Cassie: I didn't!
TtoC: You did! I watched you!
Cassie: Because it was ugly. It looks better now, broken into a million pieces! Look, I'm going to dance on the pieces of it!
TtoC: (grabbing her by the waist and lifting her out of the shards) Stop it, you're going to cut your feet!
Cassie: (slapping at Top and kicking) Put me down! I don't care! They're my feet!



TtoC: Cassie, come here, I need to talk to you.
Cassie: No, I have something to do under the bathtub right now (darts under tub)
TtoC: Cassie, this is ridiculous, I just want to talk with you.
Cassie: No. You stink. I don't like you. I'm resting right now.
TtoC: I stink? Are you kidding?
Cassie: No. You make me sick with the way you smell. See how I wrinkle up my nose and stick my tongue out when you try to touch me? That's because of the way you smell. I have to rest under the tub for a while.





TtoC: (preparing dinner) Cassie, be patient, it's not dinnertime quite yet.
Cassie: (purring) But I love you so much!
TtoC: You say that now, because I'm making your dinner.
Cassie: (with an appalled look) How can you say that?!? I'm always such a good little kitten!

xoxox
Libby

10 comments:

  1. This is so perfect! Do you think this is just what we are like? I rather think it is. This made me smile lots. Thank you. I hope you feel all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I REALLY hope I'm never as bratty as she ALWAYS is! She constantly shocks me with her brattiness. It knows no bounds!
    xoxox
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby, I love this. I have cats, too, and this is exactly how they are! And maybe a teeny bit of how we are, except for the getting under the tub thing.

    I am so glad you came to play with us at Dev and Poppy's. That led me here, and I'm looking forward to reading lots and lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Scarlet! Welcome and thank you for stopping by.

    Aren't cats just incorrigible?

    xoxox
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will start using the "I didn't" (even though he saw me) line. I love it.

    I might have to get a cat just so I can learn some new bratisms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing that makes her "strategy" (such as it is) work so well is that she's so over the top (Top?) that it's funny. I swear, she really is saying "I didn't do it!" sometimes, when I've just watched her do some horrid thing.
    Yes, the quickest way to learn to brat is to look at a cat (and really, the girl cats are the worst!).
    xoxox
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  7. C, you should definitely get a cat. They make you laugh a lot, but they do have a thing about breaking vases. The last one that a cat of mine broke was an antique, and the only really valuable one I have (had). Darn cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is it about the vases? Do they love them? Hate them? Who knows? I USED to make ceramic vases. I stopped. I couldn't bear to see her take another down. She takes a running leap at them. She's stunning in her brazen naughtiness.

    xoxox
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Libby, this describes our naughty cat sooo well! She's acomplete imp, cat burglar, brat and the thinks she'll escape by being all soft and loving! The other cat is a complete Top and other than wacking her when she tries her antics on him, treats her with Toppish disdain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toppish disdain! Yes! Cassie has this Toppish disdain, though she has no one to be Toppish to (uh oh...is she Topping me?)...
    xoxox
    Libby

    ReplyDelete